A fifth of the environmental impact of the fashion industry corresponds to footwear. Reducing the environmental footprint and committing to sustainability throughout the production chain and innovation is the key to success, both in new footwear companies and in century-old brands, which lead sales and top the lists of most desired sneakers by them and them .

Among the novelties for this summer season, the ‘made in Spain’ triumphs, such as the new DREC® model of the pioneering and iconic Victoria that uses recycled and organic cotton, the fresh and breathable bamboo sneakers of the successful Yuccs, and the genderless sneakers Eighties-inspired vegan shoes from the young firm Arze.

Yuccs Bamboo Collection

In just over three years, the Majorcan footwear company Yuccs, run by the young entrepreneur Pablo Mas, has become a revolution that has conquered King Felipe VI himself.

Its nature-inspired shoes are committed to sustainability with innovation in fabrics and soles, local manufacturing and limited production. Merino wool fabrics, bamboo, sugar cane soles and castor oil in their insoles. “They are designed to offer a comfort experience never before seen,” says Pablo Mas.

This season the Bamboo collection, very fresh and breathable, is available in three models: the versatile, Casual, the sportiest, Sport and in a boot model, Casual Boot, with a range of the most appealing colors such as peach, navy , or olive, among others.

Within a couple of months, Yuccs will open a physical store in Madrid, which will be followed by Barcelona and other capitals in its expansion strategy for the coming years.

Victoria’s DREC® Model

The centenary firm (1915) from La Rioja, pioneer of shoes with innovative and sustainable materials, has been conquering and leading the Spanish market for generations. From the technique of vulcanizing soles in the 50s, to the recent DREC® (Dyeable Recycled Ecological Cotton) project, caring for the environment and recycling are their priority.

With DREC® they have managed to recycle 30% of the cotton used during the manufacture of the canvas of their shoes, organically growing the remaining 70% in Andalusia, spinning it in Catalonia and weaving it in Alicante, with a saving of 4,500 kg of cotton per year.

Its classic English sneaker, one of the brand’s best sellers, is reinvented with elastic along with tinted canvas models in ballerina, ankle boot and platform sneaker. Handmade manufacturing, and vulcanized sole without glue or toxic substances. “Sustainability is the only way,” they say.

Vegan sneakers by Arze

This young Valencian brand, which has only been on the market for a few months, has already become one of the most desired. Genderless and timeless design, inspired by the retro sneakers of the 80s, and zero kilometer manufacturing (Elche), with 100% recycled and vegan materials (PETA seal, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in English) are its letter of introduction.

Its star model is Taiga, which presents as a novelty a new range of colors – blue, yellow and red, added to green and white – and a new 80% bio-based rubber platform sole with a bio-composite gel insole with an effect anti-fatigue Bio-based vegan material that looks like leather but is fake (nappa effect), corn and recycled PU (fake leather). Organic cotton laces.

The new Toundra model has a more casual design. Made of recycled nylon, with a 100% recycled polyester inner lining and also a bio-composite gel insole with an anti-fatigue effect. Available in blue, red, yellow, green and white.

The CEO of the firm points out that “at ARZE we like to say that we are the first brand of sustainable shoes that does not talk about sustainability, but about generating good vibes from head to toe. Because we understand that sustainability today should not be a differential value, but a reality in all brands, companies, actions, etc. That it is not necessary to have to “justify” our sustainability, but that the product, its quality and certification speak for itself».

Arze collaborated in the last edition of 080 Barcelona Fashion with the designer Eñaut who wanted to denounce the oil spills that occurred in Spain with his parade.