The big celebration of the championship began for the Napoli footballers in Udine with a rush of fans who had traveled with them – at home in Naples the Tifosi had long since started a long night of partying on the streets and squares.

After 33 years of waiting, the southern Italians completed their third “Scudetto” on Thursday evening and crowned a splendid season. On Friday night, one man died from gunshot wounds and three others were hospitalized. The circumstances were initially unclear.

“This championship is well deserved”

In Udine, some were overwhelmed by the emotions: the actually quite cool coach Luciano Spalletti cried in the TV interview on DAZN when he remembered his deceased brother at the moment of triumph. Looking at the live pictures from Naples, where tens of thousands of fans were celebrating, the coach spoke of “great satisfaction”.

The 1-1 draw at Udinese Calcio made the early triumph in Serie A perfect, with five games to go the SSC lead over second-placed Lazio Roma is 16 points. “This championship is well deserved,” summed up captain Giovanni di Lorenzo with blue shimmering hair. In the dressing room, the European champion, like many of his teammates, couldn’t escape the can of hair dye spray. “We can hardly wait for the celebration.”

It was already in full swing at home in the port city at the foot of Mount Vesuvius – no wonder, since the fans had to wait a long time for their third Serie A title after 1987 and 1990. The two successes fell into the Napoli era of world star Diego Armando Maradona.

Large contingent of the police

On Thursday, 60,000 fans watched the decisive away game at Udinese on screens in the stadium named after Maradona, before heading downtown. From all corners of the city, fans let off firework rockets into the sky, similar to midnight on New Year’s Eve. In the Piazza del Plebiscito near the port, supporters crowded, sang and celebrated, waved flags and burned flares.

A large police force was to ensure that the celebrations remained peaceful. Nevertheless, incidents were soon registered: the Ansa news agency reported on a 26-year-old who died in hospital as a result of gunshot wounds. Three other people are being treated for gunshot wounds.

The police were investigating the circumstances and were initially unable to provide any information. Three other fans required treatment because they injured their hands from pyrotechnics. In Udine, after a crowd caused by the square storm, eight fans received medical attention, the prefect said.