VfL Bochum and Eintracht Frankfurt are the previous draw kings in the Bundesliga.

At 1:1 (0:0), both teams recorded a point for the third time in a row. In front of 26,000 spectators in the sold-out Ruhrstadion, the guests seemed close to their second win of the season after Éric Dina Ebimbe’s opening goal (55th). But the Bochum team managed to get their deserved equalizer through Kevin Stöger (74th/foul penalty) in an open game at eye level.

This means that Eintracht remains undefeated under the direction of coach Dino Toppmöller. At VfL, however, the wait for their first win of the season continues.

VfL pushes the pace at the beginning

Last year, the Bochum team only achieved their first win of the season on matchday nine – against Frankfurt (3-0). Hoping for a similarly exhilarating experience, VfL pushed up the pace at the start. Eintracht goalkeeper Kevin Trapp was already challenged in the 3rd minute when he directed a remarkable long-range shot from Stöger onto the crossbar. And because the guests had little desire for a slow start, the spectators quickly saw a lot of goal area scenes.

Jessic Ngankam, who had been moved into the starting line-up, was denied by Manuel Riemann (7th) from a tight angle, and just four minutes later the Bochum goalkeeper cleared the ball against the fast Ebimbe in desperate need.

Even after the fast-paced opening phase, both teams continued to fight with great passion for the opening goal. The biggest chance to make it 1-0 was missed by Frankfurt’s Hugo Larsson, who also failed to overcome Riemann after a nice pass from Ebimbe (22′). It only took two minutes for the hosts to respond: This time, Eintracht keeper Trapp proved to be a strong support when Takuma Asano pulled a side kick.

Balanced opportunity ratio

The even ratio of chances reflected what was happening on the pitch. Until the break, both teams dueled on equal terms. Against a slightly weaker Frankfurt team, new signing Felix Passlack missed a header from close range (41′) to reward Bochum for their courageous performance at the end of the first half.

After the restart, Eintracht also gave up their previous reluctance. A counterattack by substitute Omar Marmoush, whose shot Riemann parried, gave the lead. Ebimbe sent the follow-up shot from 15 meters with great force into the bottom right corner.

But a foul by Marmousch on Ivan Ordets in the penalty area cost Eintracht their victory. Stöger safely converted the penalty that was due.