The battery of a private e-scooter exploded during the night in a terraced house in Westerstede, northwest of Bremen. Hydrochloric acid fumes and heavy smoke from the battery made the affected apartment uninhabitable for the time being, the police said.

The family of four remained uninjured, but were taken to a clinic by emergency services as a precaution. There was no major damage to the building.

Taking e-scooters on buses and trains has already been banned in several cities due to safety concerns. The Berlin public transport company recently issued such a regulation. The Association of German Transport Companies (VDV) recommended in February that customers should no longer be allowed to take e-scooters on board. Other transport associations, particularly in North Rhine-Westphalia, have already issued a ban on taking e-scooters on board.