After an attack on police officers in Trier with five injured officers, the police are still looking for the suspects. The focus is on a group of around 40 attackers who are said to have attacked the police officers on Friday night. “We are appealing to witnesses to provide us with their photos and videos,” said the spokesman for the Trier police, Uwe Konz. The police switched to a portal where you can upload material. The first indications and private video recordings have already been received, it said.

State Interior Minister Michael Ebling (SPD) announced that he wanted to visit the police headquarters in Trier on Saturday. A conversation with the police inspector Friedel Durben, police vice president Frank Gautsche and officials is planned there. A press statement will follow, according to a ministry spokesman.

Two arrests – motive unclear

According to the police, the approximately 40 suspected perpetrators hit the officers in front of a Trier discotheque with glass bottles, wooden poles and fists on Friday night. Only after the arrival of reinforcements did the police manage to bring the situation under control. An officer fired two warning shots in the air, after which those involved in the crime fled. Two suspects had been arrested.

The attackers’ motive for attacking the police was initially unclear. They are said to have “ganged up” in front of the club and showed solidarity against the police. The police had been alerted because of an assault in the disco. The situation escalated during the investigations on the square in front of the club. It is assumed that alcohol also played a role.

The police headquarters in Trier has set up a so-called special organizational structure to process the police operation and identify those involved in the crime. Politicians in the state and federal government had sharply condemned the night attack.

The police officers injured during the operation had left the clinics on Friday after treatment. In such crisis situations, psychological support is also available, said the police spokesman. “Of course we are very affected and also shocked that something like this is possible here,” he said, looking at the fact.