Children should not consume alcohol, even a small amount. It can lead to serious health problems. Alcohol poisoning can be caused by a very small amount. According to the Belgian poison control centre, a “sip” of Grand Marnier can cause alcohol poisoning in children as young as 10 years old. The consequences can be severe: A drop in blood alcohol (hypoglycaemia), convulsions (epileptic seizure), can all be caused by an adult who has a good tolerance for it, according to the center.

It is crucial to be cautious and watchful. When there is a pool, it is best to leave toddler supervision to one adult. It is important that everyone does not think someone else is doing it. It’s also a good idea to ask everyone to keep their glasses with them and to pour them into the sink if they don’t want anymore. Keep alcohol out of reach of children and keep it locked up.

What should you do?

If you suspect your child is drinking alcohol, even if they are following all precautions, contact a poison control centre. Provide the child’s name, age, weight, and amount of alcohol ingested. It will be possible to determine if alcohol poisoning can occur based on this information. The Belgian poison control centre says that if this happens, the child must be admitted to the hospital.

If the risk of alcohol poisoning appears low, you will need to keep an eye on the child for at least two hours, but not to put him to sleep. If you notice signs of intoxication, such as restlessness or drowsiness, it is necessary to keep your child awake for several hours at the hospital. Your child is safe if there are no signs after two hours.

While you wait for poison control center instructions, you can offer a sweet drink (grenadine or lemonade) but not “light” beverages. In fact, the goal is to prevent a drop of blood sugar. You need “real” sugars, not the sugar substitutes found in light drinks.

Rules: End taboos

Source: Destination health