Overshadowed by a near demolition after fan riots, Bundesliga leaders 1. FC Union Berlin have ended their Europa League curse.

With the first goal in the competition, the Köpenickers celebrated their first victory in the competition against the Swedish record champions Malmö FF without a point. Sheraldo Becker scored the goal to make it 1-0 (0-0) outnumbered in the 68th minute.

In terms of sport, the team of Urs Fischer, who tested negative for the corona virus in good time and who traveled later, kept their chances of progressing in Group D after two 0-1 defeats. What is happening in the stands should also have an aftermath, especially before one Month fans of 1. FC Köln caused massive negative headlines at the game in the Conference League in Nice.

In Malmö, however, it was initially unclear by whom the pyros and firecrackers had been ignited and thrown. “Both camps threw pyrotechnics onto the field,” said the Unioner, whose head of communications, after the international announcements before the game continued, also talked to the Köpenick supporters again. Television pictures also showed that security forces brought fans from the ranks who were not in the block of over 1000 Union supporters.

Game continues under probation

It was clear that referee Halil Umut Meler from Turkey only started again on probation after the interruption in the 57th minute. If objects were thrown from the ranks into the interior again, the game would be stopped immediately, it said. Becker gestured accordingly when a flare burned again in the stands after his celebrated goal.

Not many had suspected that the Unioners would score in the situation. The leader of the Bundesliga had to take a hard hit just before the break when Andras Schäfer saw the red card. The entire Union team had gathered in half of the Swedes, then Schäfer stumbled the ball and involuntarily played it with his heel in the direction of his own goal. Malmo’s captain Anders Christiansen sprinted in between, Schäfer held his jersey and Christiansen fell. The referee showed the red card: Schäfer was the last man to clearly thwart a goal chance.

Fischer, who had tested positive for the corona virus on Sunday and was only able to come back on Thursday morning after another negative test, leaned back in his trainer’s chair without much facial emotion. Little did he know that the game would take such a turn ten minutes after the restart.

Union Berlin website