The great German Wembley revival between FC Bayern and Borussia Dortmund has collapsed. 25 years after the memorable 1-2 final defeat against Manchester United, Bayern experienced another Champions League drama with a 1-2 (0-0) draw against Real Madrid in the semi-finals. Real joker Joselu turned the game around at the Bernabéu on Wednesday evening with two very late goals (88th/90th 1). Of all people, captain Manuel Neuer, who had held up like a titan until then, made a serious mistake in the 1-1 draw. The first leg ended 2-2.

Alphonso Davies didn’t become Munich’s goal hero with his 1-0 win in the 68th minute. The premier class final on June 1st in London will now be contested by record winners Real Madrid and challengers Dortmund. For the first time since 2012, Bayern ended a season without a title. And coach Thomas Tuchel is denied a triumphant farewell to Munich.

Bayern had been lucky before conceding the two goals when the supposed equalizing goal was correctly disallowed in the 72nd minute in front of over 76,000 spectators after video evidence. Real’s captain Nacho had previously grabbed Joshua Kimmich in the face with both hands and brought the Bayern professional down.

In the Estadio Santiago Bernabéu, which was renovated at great expense and where Bayern’s former CEO Oliver Kahn also sat down with a mug of beer, a crackling atmosphere could be felt even before kick-off. “I feel very alive. These are the moments and days that you dream for,” said Tuchel with a smile on DAZN shortly before the game: “Perfect day, perfect setting, it couldn’t be more difficult. That’s why we’re challenged.”

Despite the impressive backdrop and the enormous importance of the highlight game, Tuchel fielded youngster Aleksandar Pavlovic in central midfield instead of the experienced Leon Goretzka. The 20-year-old initially showed no stage fright and initiated Bayern’s first chance, but Gnabry passed too imprecisely to Harry Kane in the penalty area (8th).

Gnabry was given priority over Thomas Müller, but after less than half an hour the national player had to go out injured, as he did in the quarter-final first leg against Arsenal FC. But it wasn’t Müller who came into play; rather, the faster Davies occupied the left offensive lane. However, numerous mistakes crept in during the transition, which visibly frustrated Tuchel on the sidelines.

The hosts around Toni Kroos, who was confident on the ball, had a playful advantage. In the 13th minute, Neuer had to show his class twice to prevent Munich from falling behind early: the national goalkeeper directed a shot from Vinícius Júnior, the double goalscorer from the first leg, onto the post with his fingertips. Neuer also parried Rodrygo’s follow-up shot. Five minutes before half-time, Neuer saved again from Vinícius with another great feat.

Even though Munich had sporadic chances like Kane’s after a nice direct volley (28′), Madrid seemed much more present and determined. Matthijs de Ligt, who got fit in time and replaced Minjae Kim, who scored both Real goals in the first leg, gave the Bayern defense stability in the difficult moments.

The Spanish champions also started the second round with more momentum and power. Vinícius in particular was running hot, the Brazilian caused a lot of danger with his speed and his dribbling on Real’s left side of the attack – as was the case when he set up Rodrygo’s great chance (55th). After an hour, Vinícius tested Neuer again – and again the German goalkeeper was the winner.

During the home team’s pressure phase, Davies surprisingly gave Munich the lead. Immediately afterwards, Kroos, who was playing his 20th semi-final game in the premier class, was substituted for Luka Modric. After the equalizer was taken back, Real increased the pressure again and Bayern defended with a five-man chain in the final minutes. But they found no remedy against Joselu.