After the deadly attack near Neuschwanstein Castle, investigators continue to ask tourists to send in photos and videos. So far, only a dozen submissions have been received, said a police spokesman. The police assume that there is a lot of material, but that it takes some time to reach the people who were there on the day of the crime. The files could be uploaded to a special portal, the police said. Even if the alleged perpetrator or the two women who were attacked only happened to be seen on the material, this could help with the investigation. “We hope that this will further clarify the situation before and after the crime,” said a police spokesman.

In addition, the investigators would primarily evaluate and classify traces from the crime scene, said the police spokesman. For the time being, no further investigations are planned on site near the Marienbr├╝cke in Schwangau, which is popular with tourists. The bridge and its surroundings were reopened to visitors shortly after the incident on Wednesday.

A 30-year-old tourist from the United States was arrested after the attack. According to the police, he has been in custody since Thursday on suspicion of murder. He is suspected of pushing two women, aged 21 and 22, into the P├Âllat Gorge near the castle after allegedly attacking the younger of the two. Investigators suspected an attempted sexual offense could have been the motive for the attack.

What does the suspect say?

According to the police, the 21-year-old died in the hospital on Thursday night from her serious injuries, and her 22-year-old companion was slightly injured, according to a police spokesman.

A spokesman for the public prosecutor’s office said that the suspect did make a statement during the presentation to the magistrate. Initially, however, he did not provide any information about the content of the man’s statement. The alleged perpetrator was initially able to escape. The police launched an extensive search around the castle. Officials from several places drove to the scene, a sniffer dog and a police helicopter supported the search. The 30-year-old was arrested a short time later nearby. He remained in custody for a day before an arrest warrant was issued for him on Thursday.

The US State Department said it was aware of the case. The US consulate in Munich is monitoring the situation closely and is in contact with the responsible authorities, said spokesman Matthew Miller in Washington. For data protection reasons, however, he could not provide any further information.

Neuschwanstein Castle is one of the most famous and most visited sights in Germany. In the past, almost one and a half million visitors came to the attraction every year. In summer, on average, more than 6,000 visitors would crowd through the rooms of the castle every day, reports the Bavarian Palace Administration.